This versatile peanut sauce can be used on everything from salads to chicken to noodles. It is creamy and smooth with the perfect balance of flavors.
This peanut sauce is one of my favorites. It is so versatile and can be used as a sauce, dressing, or dip. Coconut milk acts as the base of the sauce and helps to give the peanut sauce a creamy, rich texture. Yum!
This peanut sauce uses only 6 ingredients. Many of them are pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand! It easy to make and ready in about 5 minutes. Let’s get started!
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce
Peanut butter – It wouldn’t be peanut sauce without the peanut butter! I have made this with both natural types of peanut butter and “regular” peanut butter (like Jif or Skippy). Regular peanut butter has a stronger taste and smoother texture than natural peanut butter but both are good! You may need to adjust the amount of soy sauce and sugar slightly depending on what type you use.
Coconut milk – Coconut milk is creamy and smooth and forms the base of the sauce. It is made from cooking water and coconut together and has a mild coconut flavor. You will find unsweetened coconut milk in the canned food section of the grocery store. Make sure you do not purchase coconut cream, cream of coconut, or coconut milk from the refrigerated section as these are different products.
I usually use regular unsweetened coconut milk. Light coconut milk can also be used but the sauce might have a thinner consistency.
Right out of the can the coconut milk can separate, with the fat rising to the surface like in the picture below. Stir it well before measuring and adding to the sauce.
Soy sauce – I use regular soy sauce here.
Brown sugar – Sweetens the sauce.
Fresh lime juice – This brightens the flavor of the sauce. Only a tablespoon is needed, from about half of a lime.
Red pepper flakes – Adds a little heat. Adjust this to taste.
How to Make Peanut Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender cup and puree until smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to your liking. That’s it! SO easy!
I like using some type of blender for this sauce because it helps to easily incorporate the peanut butter into the coconut milk and makes a smoother sauce. If you do not have a blender you can use a whisk to mix everything together. It might take a minute or two to get everything incorporated and smooth.
How to Use Peanut Sauce
The great thing about this sauce is that it is SO versatile! Try using it as:
- a dressing with Thai Chicken Salad
- a dip for fresh vegetables
- a dipping sauce for chicken satay
- a dressing over a warm or cold noodle salad
Whatever you do with it will be delicious!
How to Store Peanut Sauce
Store peanut sauce in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will thicken in the refrigerator so you may need to let it sit at room temperature or heat it in the microwave for a few seconds before serving. Enjoy!
Peanut Sauce and Dressing
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter (see note)
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (from half a lime)
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender cup and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
- Regular peanut butter has a stronger taste and smoother texture than natural peanut butter but both are good! You may need to adjust the amount of soy sauce and sugar slightly depending on what type you use.
- This peanut sauce will thicken in the refrigerator so you may need to let it sit at room temperature or heat it in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
You may also like:
Spaghetti with Kielbasa, Peppers, and Onions